Thursday, April 03, 2008

Things That Are Never Underrated

So, on Wednesday night I did something I never do - I took myself out to dinner. Nothing fancy, just a glass of red wine and an onion soup (my fave!). I had signed my very first contact for an article in a print magazine and I felt proud of myself and wanted to celebrate in a tiny way. In a crowded restaurant, I sat all by myself, eating my food and drinking my wine and I got to thinking about life's small pleasures - the ones we forget to enjoy while we worry about everything else. Here's my list of 50 Things That Are Never Underrated - literally the first 50 things that came to mind. Feel free to slap on any additions.

1.) Taking yourself out to dinner (obvs)
2.) Getting a massage
3.) Smelling saltwater air
4.) Writing down something you'd rather yell at someone to make yourself feel better
5.) Crunchy leaves under your feet
6.) Having a night of fun that was completely unplanned
7.) Sleeping in
8.) Getting/giving a hug
9.) Putting colored paint on a blank wall
10.) Getting a big, fat check
11.) Feeling like you've got the hang of something
12.) Letting go of something that has made you mad for a long time
13.) Wearing new clothes for the first time
14.) The perfect comeback (during the argument)
15.) Getting the "question" right on Jeopardy
16.) Winning a board game
17.) Cheese!
18.) Making a recipe you found and having it come out right
19.) Being really thirsty and finally getting a sip of water
20.) Just-washed sheets on your bed
21.) Keeping whites white
22.) Getting a new haircut
23.) The first sip of a cold beer
24.) Receiving real mail
25.) PJ's straight from the dryer
26.) Screaming the F-word when you're frustrated
27.) Indulging in a new obsession
28.) Bowling a strike/picking up a spare
29.) Boozy brunch
30.) Laughing uncontrollably at something ridiculous
31.) Reading a book you can't put down
32.) Falling asleep on a full stomach
33.) A cool new pair of shoes
34.) A good hair day
35.) Watching a movie that makes you think for days after
36.) Really nice hotel rooms
37.) Something made of carbs dipped in something else (chips and salsa, pita and hummus, chips and guacamole)
38.) Pizza just the way you like it
39.) The way babies smell
40.) Crying at Extreme Makeover: Home Edition
41.) Finding something you were sure was lost
42.) Sitting by a fire
43.) Hearing the song you want to hear on the radio
44.) A really good steak (or tofu, I guess, if you're a vegetarian)
45.) Making a new friend
46.) Mini anything
47.) Feeling sleep and finally laying down
48.) Realizing you wasted X hours watching your favorite guilty pleasure TV show
49.) Spending a night pleasantly buzzed, not drunk - and no hangover!
50.) Being the first to know something

No comments: